Sunday, August 01, 2004

rFAFi – Reader’s Funky Appliance Fiesta



Today is Reader’s Funky Appliance Fiesta hosted by umami. The idea is that you post a photo of an appliance or kitchen gadget that you own and that is unusual in design (i.e. funky).

Fortunately for me, the original concept of funky appliances was expanded to include other kitchen gadgets used in the preparation of food. I do have an old blender – but it is not nearly as colorful as umami’s. My other appliances are pretty standard. I do have a few unusual gadgets, though, one of which I’ve posted a photo of before. I’m still not sure what it is or how to use it.

For today, though, I decided to show you my lovely Pinocchio funnel given to me by my brother. He was purchased at shop near the Mercato Centrale in Florence, but he is made by Alessi, so I imagine he can be found in many other places.

I haven’t really put him to good use yet. I tried to use him recently when I was ladling jam into jars, but he got a stuffy nose.


7 comments:

santos. said...

so cute! and yet, somehow creepy, as i think of what he would look like with liquid rushing out of his nose....

Cathy said...

you should have seen him with the jam - that's when I should have taken his picture!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy, I've never seen this funnel before. It is cute, do you say "Oh what a mess, Wipe your nose boy!" Hee hee

umami

Anthony said...

Great stuff, it'd make quite a hat too.

Cathy said...

umami - he did get me laughing, but I haven't actually spoken to him yet!

Anthony - I was looking around for a photo last night before I posted this but couldn't find it. I haven't tried using him as a hat, but there is a picture somewhere of my sister-in-law (she got one too) and me with our Pinocchio funnel masks.

Anonymous said...

My first question was, what type of jam were you making? Curious minds want to know. : )
I can see how pouring any kind of jam down that funnel would be a mess! It does look like a pretty good conversation piece for your wall, however, and it just might keep you honest! ;)

Alice

Cathy said...

Alice - it was apricot jam. Actually I normally use an aluminum funnel that is equally narrow, but it is shorter. I'd love to find a wide mouth funnel since I seem to be doing quite a bit of canning these days.

btw, Pinocchio was only posing on my wall. He is very cute, but he lives in the cabinet with the rest of my kitchen stuff.