Monday, February 28, 2005

Mondays with Maida - Giant Ginger Cookies


Page 40 in the old book / page 71 in the new book

These truly are giant cookies. I was afraid I was making them too big, but I ended up with a couple more than the 28 that the recipe says it makes. I'd guess that each cookie has over 1/4 cup of dough. Once again, these cookies were amazing the day they were baked. They had a crunchy exterior and were soft on the inside. They are the most strongly spiced of the last several spice cookies, with cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and mustard. They are beautiful mahogany-colored cookies studded with currants and, in addition to the spices, flavored with molasses and coffee.

You might be tempted to make these cookies smaller, but I think that would be a mistake. I expect the inside of the cookies would be harder or at least drier. Better to share one with someone and enjoy the cookie as it was intended.



Although these were well received at work, I was less fond of them the day after baking. The outside had softened up a bit and I think that the flavor may have intensified (is that possible?). I prefer a more mildly spiced cookie, but others in my office seemed to really enjoy these. If you like strongly spiced cookies, I guarantee you'll like these. If you serve them the day they're baked, I think most anyone would find them hard to resist.

Next week – Sunflower Coconut Cookies

Nutrition Facts

5 comments:

santos. said...

mustard! this is the deal-breaking recipe, and now i'll definitely buy the book. i prefer gingersnaps, but i want them snappy in both texture and flavour; i never liked the spicing in those chez panisse 'snaps, so maybe this is what i'm looking for.

Cerebrum said...

I agree with Santos - mustard?! Now I've never...! Interesting!

Anonymous said...

Me three...I'm also surprised by the mustard. They sound and look good, though, I love spice and I love giant cookies! Next week's cookie sounds really, really intriguing, too.

Stephanie said...

It's a good thing I've already *bought* the book...Matt is going to want these cookies Immediately.

In his mind, there is no such thing as too much ginger. Thanks, Cathy...now I know what to make for him this week!

Cathy said...

Hi Santos - I was thinking these might appeal to you! I couldn't remember if the Chez Panisse cookies had mustard in them or not.

Hi Zarah - I found the combination of spices actually had a very familiar flavor. I think it reminded me of a store bought cookie my Mom used to buy.

Hi Alice - OK, now you guys have got me wondering - is this Maida Heatter's innovation or is mustard used in ginger cookies from time to time? There other recipes in the book that use this combination of spices (English Gingersnaps #1 and #2 on pages 233 and 234 and Ginger Shortbread Cookies on page 188), but I had trouble finding other non-Maida cookie recipes with ginger and mustard. I looked through my cookie books without any luck, but finally found one on-line. So I guess it's rare, but not unheard of!

Hi Stephanie - Oh, I'm glad you've got the book. Hope you and Matt like these!