Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Dining with the Bloggers - June 1st



This week's Dining with the Bloggers theme is "Healthy/Lowfat/Light". Just in time too...I just got back from two weeks in Sicily, remember?

It's easy to find all sorts of tempting recipes on food blogs, but it starts to get a little more difficult when you narrow the field to "healthy". Thankfully, amidst all the yummy baked goods, there are some great recipes for those days in between indulgences, when you're trying to eat more carefully.

This week the recipe that caught my eye was over on Molly's blog, Orangette. It's a recipe for Carrot Fennel Soup adapted from Amanda Hesser's Cooking for Mr. Latte. The original recipe calls for sour cream, but Molly's version omits it and I didn't miss it one bit. I love pureed vegetable soups - they're thick and filling without the fat or calories of a cream soup. This one is particularly good and perfect for spring. The pairing of carrot and fennel was new to me, and I really liked it. The soup has a wonderful light taste - slightly sweet from the carrots, a hint of anise from the fennel, and a bright note from the orange juice. It's easy to make and delicious.

Don't forget to stop by at Zarah's - I'm sure she's found something both good and good for you!

3 comments:

Chocopie said...

hi, cathy.
As you've recommended, I'm going around those blogs.

Cerebrum said...

Oh, I've been eyeing that one too...

Cathy said...

Hi chocopie! Be sure to check out Zarah's recommentdations too - I've learned about some great blogs from her Dining with the Bloggers posts, including Orangette!

Hi Zarah - I just finished the leftovers yesterday. I've really enjoyed this soup!